I’ve been going to Studio Barre Newport a LOT and to be honest I’m sort of addicted. I lovingly call my time there “my afternoon attitude adjustment” after the stresses of the day and juggling work, home and kids. It’s an hour where I just get to focus on nothing but making myself better, stronger and let’s face it who doesn’t feel better after getting a good sweat on?
After a good Barre workout, I’m typically pretty sore and that is a good indication that I KNOW I worked my body. Not to mention, after just 30 days I’m already down 2.5 inches in my waist (zero pounds – but that’s a talk for another day). WOOOH results that I can measure and obviously feel as I struggle to walk up the stairs some days. Thank you, Steph for kicking my butt.
Anyway, if you’re still reading this you’re probably wondering what the hell does this have to do with business. Sometimes you work really hard and don’t always see the results. Other times you may “go to class” and simply show up. If you want results you have to FEEL THE BURN. You have to commit to your goal in mind. You have to show up and give it 100% each and every time.
Too often I see entrepreneurs who are simply just showing up. They are going through the motions and they aren’t feeling the burn or as in barre they don’t have their shake on. If you truly want to be in business you have to do the work. You have to put the time and effort in. As Barre-tender Steph says, ‘you have to put it all out on the floor and you have to remember that, ‘you are stronger than you were yesterday.’ Ultimately, you also have to be willing to try to do that full push up on your toes or just stick with it an extra 10 seconds or tuck it out until the end.
Owning a business is a LOTTA work. It takes practice. It takes showing up. It is hard. It should make you sweat. It should hurt a little. It should make you feel like you are getting closer. If you close your eyes and imagine what your business looks like are you taking action steps towards moving it forward? If you are you should be a little sore, a little tired and a little energized from the work you are doing but here’s the thing you aren’t going to feel SORE from the work. So then how do you know you are moving forward and putting in the work if you don’t actually feel sore?
- Keep a list of goals you want to accomplish for the year. Put at your list and look at it daily.
- Do one thing forward each day to move your business in the right direction. Every morning I get up and decide one thing I’m going to do for my business. Maybe it’s a lead magnet, a blog, or maybe it’s updating my website. Every day I’ve been doing one thing to move my business forward and it is amazing the progress I have made in just a few short months.
- STOP waiting for everything to be perfect. Let me let you in on a little secret – It never will! Don’t wait another day for your course to be done, or your website or for your funnel. Start today! Well, Jamie, how do I start today if I don’t have a course or a program or a membership site? Go out and sell an hour of your time. Just start and out of the time that you sell you will see a pattern develop. START.
- Find an accountability partner. Find someone who is willing to give you a bit of tough love so that you get things done for me with Barre my husband asks me every day. You will be surprised how it changes your mindset when you know you have to admit to someone else, “hey, I didn’t get this done.”
- Be in business by doing business. Make it a goal to work with one new client each week. You will feel so much better once you are working with someone. It will give you that momentum you need to get to the next sale and something to talk about because you will hear how things are going from your client aka YOUR 2.5 inches in business.
- Don’t expect everyone to see the results after 30 days but do expect to have some momentum. Just like at Barre, I haven’t had anyone come up to me and say, “wow, look at how toned you are!” nor do I expect anyone to say that after just 30 short days but for some reason in business we have this expectation of immediate changes. It is just not that way. While I know internally I feel better, I am strong and I have a few pair of jeans that actually fit I know everyone isn’t noticing these small changes BUT if I stick with it…I know they will see it too.
This week I challenge you to go burn it up in your business just like I have been at Barre. I challenge you to do one thing daily for your business and I yes, some days I feel like going to the bar instead of the barre I promise you if you put in the work and the time you too will feel the burn and your business besties will see the results.